Speaking. It’s a great technique to fish with a wide net. To attract more people to your business. Time is a finite resource. The more we can leverage your time, the better off we are.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it many more times: sales is a numbers game.
There are two specific ways you can leverage the numbers in sales:
- Make more contacts
- Increase your closing ability
The average salesperson can close 10% of their sales simply because there is a need, want, or desire for what they’ve got. There’s huge room for growth in increasing numbers just by increasing your closing percentage. That’s a given. That takes a lot of skill, advanced communication, investment, mastering the art of influence, communication, and educating.
The other number to focus on is the number of people you touch. Since, as I mentioned, time is a finite resource, the number of people you can talk to in one day is important. So, you can sit at a desk and cold call people all day. Smile and dial as I like to call it. Make one call at a time.
But just imagine how many more people you could reach in the same amount of time at a speaking engagement.
This is all about positioning yourself as an expert. There are multiple different ways and environments to leverage speaking.
It doesn’t matter what industry you are in or what you do, speaking can and will work for you.
But I’m Not a Speaker…
I hear people say all the time, “I’m not a speaker” or “I have no desire to be a speaker” or “This isn’t my profession, I’m (fill in the blank)”. What I’m telling you is to up your game and think bigger.
Listen to me, you ARE a speaker.
I’m telling you that if you utilize this marketing technique, it will change your life and your business. And it’s going to change a lot of other lives around you.
The Benefits of Speaking
If you’re like me, you’re not going to do something unless you completely understand why you should. So, let’s talk about the benefits of public speaking.
- The most obvious benefit of speaking is positioning yourself as an expert. When you’re in front of a room and you’re sharing information, the people who are listening to you don’t know what you know. It’s creating posture for you. Positioning yourself as an expert is extremely important.
- The next benefit is education or helping people. Many of us do what we do because we want to help people in a multitude of ways. I know many people in the financial industry. And they got into that industry because something happened to them, or a family member, or a friend. They got into that industry because they never again wanted to watch as someone lost it all. Maybe you do what it is you do because of something that happened to you or a loved one and you want to help others have a positive experience. You know what other people don’t know and you are called to share what you know. It doesn’t matter your industry, you already know so much more information than your prospects and future clients. There is a level of education you have that can help to transition someone else from need, want, or desire to a solution.
- Another benefit of speaking is it opens up a whole new revenue stream and marketing process to you. This could potentially even pay you outside of your business.
- The next benefit to speaking is differentiating yourself from your competition. If you position yourself as an expert and educate the masses and share information that they don’t know they don’t know, doesn’t that separate you from your competition? Doesn’t that make you the go-to person for solutions? If not you, then who?
- And don’t minimize the benefit of word-of-mouth marketing. It travels like wildfire. People will start parroting your message. People will start to repeat your message and it will get out there along with your name.
It all comes down to reinventing yourself as a speaker, even if speaking isn’t your industry.
Now that you know WHY you should be taking on speaking engagements, it’s time to learn HOW to position yourself as a speaker! Check out my audio training, Fishing with a Net Series – Event Speaking, to learn how to make yourself a speaker even if speaking isn’t your industry!
If you’re curious about other training opportunities, visit our Training Store.